After a long wait and a lot of hard work and no holidays, team evad3rs have finally released evasi0n, their untethered iOS 6 jailbreak tool. Using the following tutorial you will be able to jailbreak your iPod Touch provided it is on one of the iOS 6 firmwares.
Requirements for Jailbreak:
- PC on Windows XP or higher, Mac OS X 10.5 upwards or Linux x86
- iPod Touch on iOS 6, 6.0.1 , 6.0.2 and 6.1
- Lightening or 30-pin connector
- Jailbreak instructions
Follow these steps exactly:
Before you jailbreak your iPod Touch you should back up the data on it, using iTunes or iCloud. This keeps your data safe if things go wrong.
- If you haven’t done so, save your SHSH blobs using TinyUmbrella
- Download Evasi0n jailbreak for Mac, Linux or Windows
- Download iOS 6.1, onto your iPod if you want to – The jailbreak does support 6.1 so you will be getting all the best features on your iPod before you jailbreak it. Please only do this using iTunes – doing OTA will cause problems.
- Ensure that you remove the passcode lock from your iPod Touch. Settings > General > Passcode Lock.
- Close down iTunes
- Click on Evasi0n on your desktop to open
- Make sure that your device is now connected to your computer and that the jailbreak tool recognizes it.
- Click on Jailbreak and Evasi0n will now jailbreak your iPod Touch
- It takes a little while so don’t touch anything, although you should keep an eye on it and be ready to carry out any tasks that are requested.
- You will be asked to unlock your screen and tap on the “Jailbreak” icon that will have appeared on your Home screen. Do this; your screen will go black and then your home screen will come back.
- After that, the rest of the process is automated – your device will restart a couple of times as evasi0n finishes the process. When it has completely finished you will see the Cydia icon on your homescreen.
- If it all goes wrong then you can reboot and repeat the jailbreak safely
How to Run Cydia on iOS 6.1
Go to the Cydia icon and tap on it to open it. You will be asked to choose whether you are an owner, a hacker or a developer. Cydia then runs through repository setup and then you are free to use it to search, download and install at your own convenience.
It is highly likely that Cydia is going to be busy for the first few days so please be patient if you run up against delays. Some work has already been done to prime Cydia but it’s not known how many people are going to be trying to access it at any one time.
There you have it, one jailbroken iPod Touch ready for you to customize as you see fit. If you are using an iPad full size, iPad Mini, iPhone 5/4/4S please see our other tutorials.