Apple released iOS 6 yesterday for all 4th , 5th and 6th generation iOS devices that includes iPhone 4 , iPhone 4S , iPod Touch 4 , iPad 3 . Follow the tutorial below to download and jailbreak iOS 6 on your device . Before jailbreaking , make sure you have made a backup of your device on iTunes . This method works for iPhone 4 , iPod Touch 4 and iPhone 3GS only . This is a tethered version of iOS 6 jailbreak . In the coming days , an untethered version will be made available to jailbreakers .
Steps to Jailbreak iPhone 4 on iOS 6 :
- Download iOS 6 ipsw files specific to your device and upgrade your device using the tutorial explained here .
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.13dev4 on your Mac – Windows
- Launch Redsnow in Administrator mode on Windows . Mac users running OS X Mountain Lion start Redsn0w by Ctrl+Click on the icon and then selecting Open from the new menu
- Click on the Extras button and select the iOS 6 ipsw firmware file
- Follow the onscreen instructions to put your iPhone in DFU mode .
- Your screen willl flash and you will see the jailbreak process taking place on your phone . As shown in the image below
Booting Tethered Jailbreak : iOS 6
- Start Redsn0w and click on “Extras” button
- Now click on “Just Boot” option and follow the on-screen instructions
Installing Cydia on iOS 6 :
The current version of Redsn0w does not install Cydia on your device by default . For installing Cydia Windows users can use WinScp , and Mac users can use Terminal to SSH into the device . Now follow the instructions to Install Cydia on iOS 6 .
Note : A more refined version of Redsnow is coming in few days where you can directly install Cydia without the hassle of SSH’ing into your device . Jailbreak for iPhone 5 , iPhone 4S , iPad 3 , iPad 2 is not available right now . If you are a Gevey Sim Unlock users , do not upgrade to iOS 6 .