The steps below will explain how to Jailbreak Iphone 4 4.3.4 with PwnageTool on Mac computer . The jailbreak method is tethered which means you have to connect with the computer and boot if you turn off your device. If cannot be turned on by itself once turned off by just pressing the power button . That is why its is called tethered . Usually a tethered jailbreak is soon followed by a untethered version which required more coding and other stuff .
Steps to Jailbreak iPhone 4 4.3.4 using PwnageTool :
- Download PwnageTool bundle from the link here and extract the .zip file on your desktop
- Download PwnageTool 4.3.3 core files from here and copy them to“/applications” directory .
- Right click on the PwnageTool icon and select “Show Package Contents” as shown below
- Now navigate to this location “Contents/Resources/FirmwareBundles/” and paste the .bundle files that you downloaded on your desktop .
- Download iOS 4.3.4 ipsw files to your desktop
- Now launch Pwnage Tool and follow Steps 1-10 as shown here .
Restore to the custom 4.3.4 ipsw File :
Launch iTunes and press and hold “Alt” button on your keyboard and click on “Restore” button on iTunes window. Browse and Select the custom 4.3.4 ipsw file just created and allow iTunes to upgrade to this firmware .
Booting Tethered :
- To turn on your device after the jailbreak download this booting utility on your mac and extract the .zip file on your desktop – Tethered Boot link
- Now this is tricky. Rename the custom 4.3.4 ipsw file you created above by right clicking on it . Change its extension to .zip from .ipsw . This will allow you to unzip the contents of the file which is not otherwise possible with .ipsw extension .
- After renaming , unzip it in a folder . Find and copy two files named kernelcache.release.n90 and iBSS.n90ap.RELEASE.dfu . You will find these files inside the unzipped folder under this location /Firmware/dfu/
- Take these two files and copy them to the folder where you have saved Tethered Boot utility downloaded in Step 1 above. See the image below .
- Turn OFF your iPhone iPod Touch and iPad that you are jailbreaking and start the Terminal on your Mac . Issue the commands as shown here . sudo –s
- Enter your password and type these commands
If it does not work , try following commands . You can also drag and drop the files used here in the terminal window for quickly doing the process instead of typing the lengthy commands . When the process begins , it will ask you to put your device in DFU mode. Follow the exact steps as shown above to enter DFU Mode .
You device will now boot tethered .
I personally feel that the Redsnow tethered jailbreak method is much simpler than the PwnageTool method and requires fewer manual interventions . Also its quicker. However Pwnagetool is must for those who want to preserve baseband and hactivate their phones.
Note that iOS 4.3.4 donot upgrade your baseband . So using Redsnow is recommended over PwnageTool. Redsnow is available both on Mac and Windows