iOS 9 is by far the best iOS firmware ever and carries so many great new features that appeal not only to the regular iOS users, but it also convinces jailbreak users to not jailbreak and stay with the stock iOS 9. This is because most of the new iOS 9 features have been directly inspired from some popular jailbreak tweaks.
Image : iOS 9 iPhone 4
The new iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus run iOS 9 effortlessly, but the older iPhones should not be left out either. So if you have got an iPhone 4 and want to install iOS 9 on it, then you are at the right place. This guide will help you install iOS 9 using different methods and then jailbreak it if you want.
How to Download iOS 9 on iPhone 4
There are three methods to install iOS 9 on your iPhone 4. All the methods work equally well and you can use any of them to update to iOS 9.
1. Update Via iTunes
Just like the OTA update shown below , this is among the simplest methods to install iOS 9 on your iPhone 4.
- Make sure that the iTunes in your computer is updated to the latest version.
- Now plug-in your device to the computer and open iTunes.
- Go to the Device Summary option and click on Check For Update.
- Now click on Download and Update. iOS 9 will be installed on your iPhone. [ Image Credits : ios9cydia.com ]
2. Manual iOS 9 IPSW Installation
It has been often said that OTA updates do not work well with jailbreaks. So if you are thinking of jailbreaking iOS 9, then you should follow the manual IPSW installation method. Please note that before starting this process, make sure that your device is fully charged. Now follow the below-given steps.
- Go to this link and download iOS 9 IPSW firmware file for your iPhone 4 model.
- Once downloaded, open iTunes and connect your iPhone to the computer.
- Now choose your device and click on the Device Summary option.
- If on Windows, hold down the Shift key, or if on Mac, press down the Alt key and simultaneously click on Update in iTunes button.
- Now point to the IPSW file that you downloaded and open it.
- iTunes will now update your device to iOS 9.
3. OTA Update
Latest iOS updates are available for OTA (over the air) download right when they are released. So in case you haven’t updated to iOS 9 yet, you can do so by going to Settings > General > Software Update. Now download the OTA update and it will be installed automatically.
Please remember that iOS 9 is a major update, so the OTA update will use up a lot of your data. Hence, perform the OTA updates when on Wi-Fi or an unlimited mobile data connection.
How to Jailbreak iOS 9 on iPhone 4
So when you install iOS 9 of your iPhone 4, you will notice instantly the high-end features that it brings. What if we said that you could increase the number of features in iOS 9 ? Well, you obviously there is a limit to how you can customize your iPhone’s, as you have only got the App Store at your disposal. If you really want to break the limits of customization on your iPhone 4 running iOS 9, then you must jailbreak your iPhone.
Before the release of iOS 9, everyone expected the Pangu team to roll out an iOS 9 jailbreak soon. There were rumors that Pangu was working on the jailbreak, but nothing was confirmed by the team officially. But soon after the iOS 9 release, Team Pangu released the Pangu 9 jailbreak.
Yes, you can now jailbreak iOS 9 with the Pangu iOS 9 jailbreak. This jailbreak will allow Cydia Download on your iPhone. You will be able to install several different apps outside the App Store. You will be able to even apply custom boot logos and install several jailbreak Cydia tweaks that take the user-friendliness many notches higher than stock iOS.
So if you want to jailbreak your iPhone 4 running iOS 9 using the Pangu jailbreak, just do as given in the following steps.
- Download Pangu Jailbreak Tool for iOS 9.
- Make sure your device is fully charged and the iTunes in your computer is updated to the latest version. If not, please do not proceed ahead and update iTunes first.
- Turn off your passcode by going to Settings > Passcode and turn off the passcode on your device.
- Then go to Settings > iCloud and tap Find My iPhone to turn it off.
- Now connect your iPhone 4 running iOS 9 to your computer.
- Next, open the Pangu Jailbreak Tool that you downloaded in the first step.
- Finally, click on the jailbreak button to start the jailbreak process.
- The jailbreak tool will take some time, so do not disturb it or your iPhone.
- Once the jailbreak process is completed, your iPhone will restart and when it boots up again, you will find the Cydia app on the Home screen.
- Congratulations! Your iPhone 4 running iOS 9 has been jailbroken. You can now turn on the Find My iPhone and Passcode.
iOS 9 is a really great OS and the jailbreak makes it even more irresistible. Before the release of iOS 9, there were doubts about iOS 9 being jailbreakable or not. But thanks to Pangu, we got an iOS 9 jailbreak so early after the release of iOS 9. So those of you who were stuck at iOS 8.4 jailbreak, it is a really great upgrade. It will be a greater relief for those who were on the iOS 8.4.1, which was unjailbreakable and kept its users waiting in frustration for a jailbreak. So go ahead, jailbreak your iPhones, and install your favourite Cydia apps!