Looking to transfer all your old contacts and data over from an old iPhone to a new iPhone 5 ? It’s easy , Read on to learn how .
There are two ways to back up your iPhone, from iCloud or iTunes, both are easy but if you are running an iOS earlier than 5 or you haven’t activated iCloud then you’ll have to use the iTunes method, which is listed second on this page.
Steps to back up via iCloud:
- On your old iPhone go into Settings > iCloud and when prompted log in with your Apple ID
- Switch the marker to ‘on’ or ‘off’ depending on what you want to back up to iCloud
- Scroll down the page to Storage and Backup and tap ‘Back up now’
- Once the back up has successfully completed boot up your iPhone 5 – be aware that if you have already started using your iPhone 5 you will need to restore it to factory settings . Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings. This will restart your iPhone and allow you to follow the next steps
- Follow the prompts until the phone asks if you would like to “Restore from iCloud”
- Once the iPhone has completed the back up, which can take upwards of several minutes depending on the amount of data and your internet speed
You are done . All your personal data will be on your brand new iPhone 5 .
Steps to back up from iTunes:
- Connect your old iPhone to the computer and if iTunes doesn’t launch automatically open it manually
- Right click on your iPhone under ‘Devices’ and click back up
- Once the back up has completed and eject and disconnect your phone
- Boot up your iPhone 5 and follow the on screen prompts until you can choose ‘Restore from iTunes’
- Connect your iPhone to the computer
- Launch iTunes and ensure you select the most recent back up from the restore drop down menu and click ‘Continue’
- Once the back up has completed your iPhone will restart
You have successfully backed up your iPhone 5 . Congratulations and enjoy your new phone .