Here is a cool trick to use Facetime to actively monitor the activities at your home from anywhere in the world where you can make Facetime Calls. This is made possible by Apple after they introduced Facetime on Mac.
All you need to do is , setup your MAC computer to receive calls from your phone automatically when a call is being made . It will receive the call from your iphone 4 or iPod touch 4 with Facetime feature enabled , and then transmit videos from the Mac stationed at your house where you want to monitor. This setup requires no purchase of separate equipment or software to run , so it’s completely free . It requires little tweaks to be done on your Mac system as explained below.
Benefits of Facetime Home Surveillance System :
- Easy Setup of Home Surveillance
- No additional Hardware Required
- It’s free DIY [ Do It Yourself ] Stuff
Steps to Activate Facetime Surveillance System at your Home :
- Download and install Facetime on your MAC System from here
- On your MAC , Goto System Preferences > Universal Access and check the “Enable Access for Assistive Devices” check box at the bottom of the preference panel.
- Open Apple Script Editor [under Applications/Utilities] and Copy Paste the Following Script here as shown in the image above . Now save it as an application on your Mac desktop.
- Setup your Mac to use a unique Facetime email id . Please remember to keep it secret so that nobody else will know or else every caller with get an auto-answer.
- Now whenever you leave your house , just run this app in the background so that it can take any calls from your iphone iPod.
Update : If you cannot make it run , Download our code instead of saving your own application .DMG File here . Just download it and unzip using WinZip or Winrar on your desktop . [ Thanks to MacLife]
Please let us know how it worked for you . For more iphone 4 tips and tricks , subscribe to our email updates . Join us on Facebook.