Amazon are proudly boasting about their new Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire HD 4G LTE additions to their e-reader family. They are calling it the most advanced 7inch tablet out there and it has been heralded as the first major threat to the iPad, which has been the most popular tablet since its release in 2010.
Here we have a look at the Kindle Fire 4G and the iPad 3 , but we leave it up to you to decide which product should claim the title as best tablet . Bbe sure to let us know what you think in the comment section below .
Screen and Display :
Kindle Fire 4G: 8.9-inch screen, 1920×1200 resolution at 254 pixels per inch.
iPad: 9.7-inch screen, 2048×1536-pixel resolution at 264 pixels per inch with Retina Display.
The Kindle Fire is designed primarily as an e-book so the screen is fitted with anti-glare technology making it better for reading in bright lights. The iPad is not as glare resistant, making it a lot harder to read in strong daylight. Both tablets support up to 1080p video playback.
Size and Weight
Kindle Fire 4G: Height: 9.4″, Width: 6.4″ and Depth: 0.35″ (240 mm x 164 mm x 8.8 mm).
iPad: Height: 9.5″, Width: 7.31″ and Depth: 0.37″ (241.2 mm x 185.7 mm x 9.4 mm)
Kindle Fire 4G: 20 ounces (575 grams)
iPad: Weight: 23.36 ounces (662 g)
The Kindle beats the iPad by 3 ounces, although lets not forget that with the bigger screen the iPad is bound to weigh in more.
Kindle Fire 4G: 32gb or 64gb.
iPad: 16gb, 32gb or 64 gb.
Neither has a slot for extra memory although both Amazon and Apple offer 5gb of free cloud storage free plus more available for purchase. Amazon are also offering free unlimited cloud storage for all your Amazon content.
Both support WiFi, with the Kindle offering up to 41% speedier downloads then the iPad due to its dual antenna. Both have Bluetooth. Both have 4G connectivity with Amazon offering a $49.99 one off payment, yearly payment for 250mb data download allowance a month. Apple does not offer a data plan and must be bought through a separate carrier.
Input, Output and Audio :
Kindle Fire 4G: USB 2.0 (micro-B connector) port, micro-HDMI (micro-D connector) port, a 3.5 mm stereo jack and integrated Dolby speakers.
iPad: 30-pin dock connector port, 3.5-mm stereo jack, built-in speaker, microphone and micro-SIM card tray.
Kindle Fire 4G: Ambient light sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope and digital compass.
iPad: Accelerometer, ambient light sensor, gyroscope and digital compass
Camera and Video Capture :
Kindle Fire 4G: Front facing HD camera. No information yet as to whether it has video capture.
iPad has 5 Mpx iSight camera, auto focus, tap to focus, face detection in still images, video recording, HD (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio, video stabilization, Face-time camera with VGA-quality photos and video at up to 30 frames per second and photo and video geo-tagging.
Kindle Fire 4G: Not yet released
iPad: Up to 10 hours of searching the web via WiFi, audio or video use.
Kindle Fire 4G: 1.5Ghz dual-core.
iPad: Dual-core Apple A5X
Kindle Fire 4G: 32gb – $499. 64gb – $599
iPad 3 : 16gb – $629. 32gb – $729. 64gb – $829
So aside from the specs what else do these tablets bring to you, the consumer ? Why should you choose one over the other ? Having a fast processor is great but if you’re not actually that fussed then you want to know what else this potentially expensive investment is going to bring you so let’s have a look .
Kindle Fire 4G : Overview
- Includes a month’s free trial of Amazon Prime that allows you to stream movies and TV programs straight to your device for free .
- Borrow a book a month from the Kindle store, up to one a month, with no due date. Amazon Android Market with access to all your favorite apps.
- Whipsersync backs up your apps so even if you delete the game you still have your progress saved.
- X-Ray, a feature that takes you into the story, film or TV episode. It works with IMDb to give you instant information about what you’re watching and it also works with your textbooks to make studying that little bit less tedious.
- Immersion Reading syncs Kindle text with Audible audiobooks and lets you read and listen at the same time.
- Half price Amazon Prime if you are a student.
- Buy your content once and watch it on Amazon’s app across all platforms, iOS, Android, TV, games consoles Windows and Mac.
- Free Time for parents to limit their children content and usage.
- Read your emails and carry around important documents.
- Access to the Amazon store and choose from thousands of music titles, books, magazines, films and TV series.
iPad 3 : Overview
- Access to iTunes and it’s huge range of music, films and TV series.
- The App Store and it’s hundreds of thousands of apps, including the Kindle Reading app and store.
- iOS updates for you iPad keeping it constantly up to date and all for free.
- Airplay stream your content wirelessly to your HDTV or Airplay compatible speakers for a surround sound experience from your iPad.
- Built in apps including: Mail, Safari, Contacts, Maps, iBooks, Photos, Facetime, Messages, Game Centre and Photo Booth.
- Go green with Apple’s promise of its products being: mercury-free LCD display, arsenic-free display glass, BFR-free, PVC-free and recyclable aluminum and glass enclosure.
- Parental Controls give you control over almost everything a child can do on the iPad.
- Accessibility brings the iPad to anyone with learning or physical disabilities with VoiceOver, Braille displays, zoom, audible alerts and black on white text, and vice versa, for those who suffer with their sight.
So there we have most of the main features from both tablets. The Kindle Fire HD 4G LTE certainly looks like it is going to make the iPad work hard for it’s spot at the top of the consumer market but only time will tell whether it lives up to Amazon’s boasts. So what do you think ?Sponsored Links
| || |
Get Updates on this topic. Subscribe
Edited and Published by Sourish