iPhone 4 can be jailbroken on the latest iOS 5.1.1 firmware using Redsnow 0.9.10b8b firmware . Please note that the jailbreak is tethered which means you have to connect to a computer to get it running once switched OFF . A tethered jailbroken iPhone or any other tethered iOS device like iPod Touch and iPad cannot be switched ON just by pressing the power button . It will remain stuck at the Apple logo. All you have to do is connected to Redsnow and click on “Just Boot” option to turn it on again .
Update : Absinthe 2.0 is available for download (link). Get 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak on your iOS device ( iPhone 4S , iPhone 4 , iPhone 3GS , iPad 3 , iPad 2 , iPad 1st generation , iPod Touch 3G and iPod Touch 4 ) . Absinthe 2.0 is the Recommended Jailbreak Tool for iOS 5.1.1 (link).
Steps to jailbreak iPhone 4 5.1.1 iOS Firmware :
- First download Redsnow 0.9.10b8b for your Windows and Mac
- If you are already jailbroken , backup your jailbreak apps with AptBackup or PkgBackup. Details to back up cydia apps before jailbreak is explained here .
- Now upgrade your iPhone to iOS 5.1.1 firmware via iTunes or OTA updates available under Settings > General > Software Update . Ultrasn0w and Gevey Sim users follow this tutorial to preserve baseband during 5.1.1 upgrade
- After the upgrade is done download iOS 5.1 firmware for your device on your desktop . You need to select this .ipsw file for jailbreaking
- Launch Redsnow and select “Extras” button
- Click on “Select IPSW” and browse to the iOS 5.1 .ipsw file you downloaded in Step 4
- Click “Back” button and then click on “Jailbreak”
- Now follow onscreen instructions to jailbreak your iPhone 4 bu putting it on DFU mode
- Let Redsn0w run and install the jailbreak, the iOS device will eventually reboot .
- Look for the Cydia icon to confirm the jailbreak is successful.
Note : Since it is a tethered boot , once you switch your phone OFF or Reboot it you have to put your device in DFU mode , connect with the computer via USB cable , launch Redsnow , go to Extras > Just Boot to get it working back again as normal. In untethered jailbreak , this step is not required and the device functions as normal .
Useful Links :
| || |
Get Updates on this topic. Subscribe
Edited and Published by Sourish