There are three ways to upgrade iPhone 4 to iOS 5 . All the methods are explained below . Upgrading to iOS 5 required iTunes 10.5 and a good internet connection to download the firmware files .
Method 1 : Update via iTunes Automatically .
- First download iTunes 10.5 on your computer (MAC – PC)
- Now launch iTunes and connect your iPhone to your computer using the USB cable .
- iTunes should detect your connected device and search for update . If not go to step 4 .
- Go to Help tab on the top of iTunes window and select “Check for Updates” as shown below .
- Now iTunes will connect with Apple servers and check for latest updates . You should soon be able to see an update notification window as shown here
Method 2 : Manually Update using iTunes and IPSW Files
iOS firmware files are also called ipsw files as they end with .ipsw file extension . These files can be downloaded directly from Apple Servers . iTunes update method explained above automates the downloading and selection of the right ipsw for your device . Follow the steps below to manually update using firmware files
- Download iOS 5 ipsw for your device (iPhone 4 3GS iPod Touch 4 3G iPad & Apple TV)
- Download iTunes 10.5
- Launch iTunes and connect your device .
- Now press SHIFT key on your PC keyboard/ ALT in MAC Keyboard and select UPDATE button on iTunes as shown below
- This will open a window for file selection . Navigate to the downloaded iOS 5 ipsw file and select it . The update process will now begin .
Method 3 : Upgrade to iOS 5 and Preserve Baseband
iPhone Dev Team has come up with new updated Redsnow 0.9.9b5 for Mac and Sn0wbreeze 2.8 beta 8 for Windows users which can create custom ipsw file that can be used to preserve baseband required fo Gevey Sim and Ultrasn0w unlock users .
Gevey Sim Users :
Thos who depend on Gevey Sim Unlock can use Method 3 explained above to update using Redsn0w custom iOS 5 ipsw file while preserving original baseband . Gevey Sim works only on baseband 04.10.01 and older. Directly updating to iOS 5 using the above mentioned techniques will update your baseband hence render the Gevey Sim useless .
iPhone Jailbreak Users :
Jailbreak users can follow the article here – Upgrade Jailbroken iPhone 4 for upgrading and preserving old jailbreak apps . Read our iOS 5 jailbreak tutorials for details.
Subscribe below to get the latest jailbreak updates in your inbox . Get our Free Newsletter .
Useful Links :