Follow the tutorial below to create custom iOS 5.0.1 ipsw file and use it with Redsn0w 0.9.10b1 and PwnageTool to unlock your iPhone 4 using Ultrasn0w 1.2.5 available for free in Cydia. Unlock available for supported baseband only ( list at the bottom ) . This tutorial will also come in handy for Gevey Sim users who need to preserve their old baseband 04.10.01 for unlock .
Method 1 : Redsn0w Baseband Preservation Method
Steps to create custom iOS 5.0.1 ipsw and Unlock iPhone 4 – Redsn0w:
- Download Redsnow 0.9.10b1
- Download iOS 5.0.1 ipsw file
- Launch Redsn0w.exe app in “Administrator Mode” .
- Click Extras > Custom IPSW and select the iOS 5.0.1 ipsw file downloaded in Step 2
- Redsn0w will now create a custom ipsw file for your device and save it as “no_bb” as a prefix for the file name.
- Turn off your iPhone and use Redsnow > Extras > Pwned DFU to put your device in recovery mode
- Launch iTunes and press SHIFT + Restore and select the custom ipsw created in Step 5
- iTunes will upgrade your phone to iOS 5.0.1 preserving its baseband .
- Now follow the Redsn0w tutorial here to jailbreak your iPhone .
- After jailbreak is complete unlock your iPhone 4 , iPhone 3GS using Ultrasnow 1.2.5 .
Method 2 : PwnageTool Baseband Preservation Method
- Download PwnageTool for iOS 5.0.1
- Launch the application on your Mac and select your iOS device ( iPhone 4 in this case)
- Now PwnageTool will search and find your iOS firmware (iOS 5.0.1) . If it is unable to find the firmware , choose “Expert” mode and browse the ipsw file downloaded from Apple servers (link) .
- Now click on “Build” to create the custom IPSW for your device.
- Follow on-screen instructions to put your device in DFU mode (Pwned DFU) for restore with iTunes .
- Launch iTunes and select the custom ipsw file created by PwnageTool .
- To do this you have to press and hold Option + Restore button and select the custom firmware
- Itunes will now restore and jailbreak your device while also preserving its baseband for unlock with Ultrasn0w and Gevey Sim .
Note : The Ultrasnow 1.2.5 unlock works for the following supported basebands of iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS . iPhone 4S unlock is not available yet .
Useful Links :