If you like to use a stylus on your iPad or iPhone for certain tasks, you will know just how fiddly they can be and how easy it is to lose them. Here we are going to show you how to make yourself a stylus using 3 items that you probably have lying around at home. You will need:
- A cheap pen
- Small gauge wire
- Conductive foam – this is the type that small electronic parts are packed in.
Here’s how to do it, it will only take you a few minutes :
- Remove the end cap, ink tip and tube from the pen, leaving just the empty barrel
- Cut a strip of foam that is slightly wider than the barrel of the pen
- Cut a piece of wire that is about 12” in length and strip 1-2” of insulation from one end
- Push this through the foam and wrap the exposed wire around the foam until it is tight and secure
- Thread the other end of the wire through the barrel of the pen and use it to pull the foam into the pen until about ¼” is left sticking from the top
- Strip the insulation from the rest of the exposed wire and wrap it in a spiral around the barrel of the pen, so that when you use it your hand is touching the wire. Tape the end down so it stays secure.
- Trim the exposed foam so it is smooth.
Here is a video explaining the entire process :
There you have it, a nice, easy to make stylus. If you want something a little more upmarket, use a metal barreled pen. This way you can use the metal as the conductor and do away with the wire and tap wrapped around the outside.
|Share on Facebook|| |
Edited and Published by Sourish