Despite Evad3rs announcing that they will not be working on an untethered jailbreak utility for iOS 7.1, another developer may have come up with a tethered solution for A4 devices. The utility is called Geeksn0w and it is based on the limera1n exploit, first used back in 2010.
Image : iOS 7.1 Jailbreak Tutorial
However, it is only compatible with the iPhone 4 and is really nothing that new. Geeksn0w is a modified version of Opensn0w, developed by Winocm, together with the limera1n exploit and it will only result in a tethered jailbreak.
If you have an iPhone 4 and are happy to give this a go, we have the steps required to jailbreak using Geeksn0w below. However, we must advise you that you do this at your own risk. We cannot determine if this is an authentic jailbreak utility or not and users must exercise caution, especially in light of the number of fake jailbreak sites that appeared after iOS 7.1 was released.
Geeksn0w Supported Devices
The Geeksn0w utility is compatible with:
- iPhone 4 GSM – AT&T, Global and Revision A
- iPhone 4 CDMA
For those that are new to jailbreaking, a tethered jailbreak requires that your iPhone 4 is connected to your computer whenever you need to reboot it.
What you will need:
- Your iPhone 4 on iOS 7.1
- Download Geeksn0w for windows
- Java development Kit – 32-bit
- Latest version of iTunes
- .NET Framework
- USB cable
- Windows PC – Linux and Mac are not supported
Steps to Jailbreak iPhone 4 using Geeksn0w Tethered Utility
- Download Geeksn0w, JDK and .NET using the given link
- Right click on the icon for Geeksn0w on your desktop and select Run as Administrator
- Connect your iPhone 4 to your PC and place it into DFU :
- Hold down Power and Home buttons together for 10 seconds
- Release Power button and continue holding Home for a further seconds – your screen should be blank
Watch this video for DFU mode :
- In Geeksn0w click on Jailbreak and choose your iPhone 4 model from the list.
- Geeksn0w will proceed to jailbreak your iPhone 4
- Keep your iPhone 4 connected to your PC and, when promoted to by Geeksn0w, enter DFU mode again
- Your iPhone 4 will reboot a couple of times during the process and, at the end of the jailbreak you will need to place it in DFU mode again
- The jailbreak process will complete and your iPhone 4 will reboot for a final time – Cydia should now be visible on your Home screen. However, you will not be able to use it until your iPhone 4 resprings, normal on a tethered jailbreak.
Once again, please be aware that you jailbreak your iPhone using Geeksn0w at your own risk. We cannot guarantee the authenticity of this utility and take no responsibility for any issues that may arise or damage that may occur.