By now you will be aware that the untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 is hopefully going to be released on Sunday 3rd February. So, don’t get overly excited about this one – we’re just going to show you how to carry out a tethered jailbreak on a pre-A5 device that has iOS 6.1 running on it. This, of course, is if you really can’t wait for Sunday or just wanted to see iOS 6.1 under jailbreak conditions.
Here we are going to show you, step by step how to do it. First though, we must reiterate – this is TETHERED iOS 6.1 jailbreak for the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod 4th Generation only.
Steps to Jailbreak iOS 6.1:
- First of all, you should upgrade your device to the new firmware, iOS 6.1. Do this in one of 2 ways; either with your device connected to iTunes or by downloading the IPSW yourself here Download Link . By advice from the jailbreak teams, do NOT upgrade OTA.
- Now, at the moment RedSn0w 0.9.13b5 does not have direct support for iOS 6.1, although this should be rectified once the untethered jailbreak has been released, so you will need to download the correct iOS 6.x.x firmware for the device you are using. Do that here iOS 6.0 firmware
- Now you should go to our downloads page and download RedSn0w version 0.9.13b5.
- Connect your device up to your PC or Mac using the USB cable and put into DFU mode – for those that don’t know how to do this, hold down the Home and Sleep buttons on your device at the same time., Hold for 10 seconds and then release the Sleep button. Continue holding the Home button until you get a message on iTunes that says it has detected a device in Recovery Mode. At this point let go of the Home button – the screen on you device should remain black, if you see the Apple logo you need to start again.
- Open RedSn0w, click Extras >Select IPSW and click on the iOS 6.0.x firmware you just downloaded. Click on OK and let RedSn0w identify your iOS 6.0 firmware. If it doesn’t then you either have the wrong firmware or the wrong version of RedSn0w.
- Click on Back and then on the button that says Jailbreak. Wait a few seconds and you should get another screen – make sure that there is a check mark next to Install Cydia and then click on Next. Now the jailbreak will begin and you will see codes running.
- When you see the Lock Screen, place the device back into DFU Mode.
Tethered Boot :
- GO back to RedSn0w, click Select IPSW again as you did in step 5. Click on Just Boot and a tethered boot up of your device will start. Instead of the Apple logo you should now see the pwnapple logo that signifies the device is jailbroken.
- When you get to the lock screen, swipe to open and go to page 2 of your home screen – you should now see the Cydia icon. Open it up, tap on developer and you should be up and running.
YouTube Video explaining the jailbreak process :
Please keep in mind that this is a tethered jailbreak. That means, every single time you want to boot up your device, you need to carry out step 8 with your device connected, or “tethered” to your computer.Sponsored Links
|Share on Facebook|
Get Updates on this topic. Subscribe
Edited and Published by Sourish