iOS 4.2 is coming up soon [ iOS 4.2 Release Date Update ] with beta iOS 4.2.1 released two days ago for Iphone 4 3GS 3G and iPod Touch [ all versions ] . Since the jailbreak for iOS 4.2 beta is ready using RedSn0w Jailbreak Tool , there are many reasons you may want to upgrade to iOS 4.2 [iOS 4.2 Features].
In this post I will explain how you can downgrade to older iOS 4.1 from iOS 4.2 . Please follow the steps below to proceed with the downgrade .
Please Note : You must have saved older SHSH Blobs for your device before proceeding with the downgrade . [ Read : How-to Save SHSH Blobs ]
Steps to downgrade iOS 4.2 to 4.1 :
- Download old .ipsw firmware files on your computer [ Download iOS 4.1 ]
- Put your device in DFU mode [ Read : How-to put iphone in DFU Mode ]
- For Iphone 4 3GS only – Windows Users navigate to : C:WindowsSystem32driversetc and locate “hosts” file as shown in the image below .
- At the bottom of the hosts file add the following text 18.104.22.168 gs.apple.com as shown in the image below . [ this is for itunes to believe that we are connecting to Apple Servers when we are actually trying on Saurik's Server where your SHSH Blobs are saved - Pretty Awesome , isnt it ] If you are having issues editing the file , open Notepad in Administrator mode by right clicking on the Notepad app icon and selecting “Run as Administrator” as shown in the image below .Same applies for MAC users , they must have Full Read Write access to their account . Search the hosts file in “/etc/” directory and then editing host file using Text Edit .
- In this step you will have to connect your device and restore to the old firmware you downloaded in Step 1 using iTunes . This is very easy , you have to press left Shift [Windows] or Alt Key [Mac] while your iTunes is running on your computer and press restore as shown in the image below
- iTunes will now ask you to choose the location of the downloaded .ipsw file [Firmware file]. Select and let the restore process begin.
Please Note that you may get error 1004 or 1015 . This is normal and wont affect the restore process . Now kick your device out of Recovery Mode screen [which shows connect to iTunes] using TinyUmbrella or RecBoot . After the restore process is completed , open the hosts file that you edited and remove the last line added .
Please let us know how this tutorial go for you . Dont forget to share the article with your friends and join us on Facebook for more future upgrade tips and tricks .Sponsored Links
| || |
Get Updates on this topic. Subscribe
Edited and Published by Sourish