Upgrading your iOS device is all very well but with it comes a severe decrease in the chances of being able to jailbreak it. One of the good things about jailbreaking is that is so much more available to you in the way of tools and features to help you customize your device, something which is sorely lacking for non-jailbroken devices. However, just recently there have been a few tools appearing to help you in this area and one new one that has just been released is called CarrierEditor. This will allow you to change your carrier icon on non-jailbroken devices, however it is only available for the Mac OSX and there are no plans to produce a Windows version.
For those of you that have already jailbroken your devices, you may be familiar with Zeppelin (image above), a Cydia feature that allows you to change your carrier icon. CarrierEditor is similar to this but, because it is applied to non-jailbroken devices it does have a couple of extra steps in it.
Here’s how to do it :
- Download CarrierEditor (link)
- Open the application and click on Let’s Get Started
- Go to Setting >General > About on your device to get your carrier number, input in the space provided and click Next
- Choose the logo you want, either from Zeppelin, one you have made yourself or from one of the many preloaded ones that come with CarrierEditor, drag and drop them to the spaces provided and click on Compile Carrier Update (.ipcc)
The .ipcc file will now appear on your desktop or home screen and now you need to install it.
- Click on How to install the Custom Carrier Update
- Make sure your device is plugged in to your MAC and open up iTunes
- Hold down the Option key on your device and select Restore iPhone
- Select the correct .ipcc file and click Open
- When iTunes has finished, reboot your device and enjoy.
YouTube Video :
This whole process will only take a few minutes from start to finish and, although you have asked it to, iTunes does not actually restore your device. Be aware that it is perfectly possible for Apple to apply a patch to this application so enjoy it while you can.